Driving in the UK

You can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence for up to 12 months from when you became resident, on a licence issued in a ‘designated country’.

Ukraine is a considered a ‘designated country’.

Before the 12-month period finishes, you must exchange your licence to keep on driving. You can exchange it up to five years after becoming a UK resident (if it hasn’t expired) without having to retake your driving test.

You will need to send your Ukrainian driving licence to the UK Driving and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA). They will retain it and send out a UK licence.

See this link for details:


Car insurance

Advice we can give on this subject is limited.  Based on our experience, adding a Ukrainian driver to the existing car insurance policy of a UK host has cost between £0 and £650.

We have heard that Admiral, when pressed, have reduced the cost from an initial quote of £150 to £0.

We have also heard a quote of £400 to establish a new policy in the name of the Ukrainian guest who had a full clean licence, and who verbally advised of a 10-year no-claims position in Ukraine.